Friday, June 18, 2010

Homemade Bread II: White and Rye!


Yesterday was a rainy day - not much one could do in the gardens. So, I tried more homemade bread! I've made three batches of the whole wheat dough; we bake one loaf a day and it is awesome to have! So thought I'd try other breads. Made the basic white loaf from the original 'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day', and the rye/whole wheat loaf from 'Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day'. Now that I've got some experience, making the dough takes about five minutes! You mix it in the container you will store it in (I found some great, food-grade plastic containers that nest at my local box store grocery store at a great price!) You let the dough rise a couple of hours on the counter top, then refrigerate. It's just flour, salt, gluten and yeast, then add warm water. It's really, really, really easy! Take out a grapefruit size hunk of dough, let it 'rest' on the counter for ninety minutes, then bake for 30 minutes. Each batch of dough makes four or five loaves. It's soooo easy. Found local organic whole wheat flour and organic unbleached white flour at Two Farm Kids, happy to have that! Really, anybody can do this! Grab the books from the Amazon link on the side bar, which will also help keep The Hens in scratch! The only complaint so far: Farmer Man, of Danish background, insists I must get liverwurst to go with the rye!

4 comments:

  1. Ah...a slippery slope. Your loaves look great. It starts with the straight doughs...then before you know it, you have a sourdough starter in the fridge that needs more attention than the chickens! :P Worth it though. I made focaccia this week for the first time, which was wonderful and easy (from Urban Dirt Girl's blog post last week), and then our regular sourdough this afternoon. Nothing better than homemade bread! Oh, and tuna on rye for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, focaccia! That would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what's wrong with liverwurst, I ask?? Or are you forgetting all those breakfasts from our childhood? I still have a chunk in the fridge at any given time. I'll look forward to having some on your homemade bread in August!

    Keltie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will happily make you any flavour you want, Kelto!! Apparently, I can use the same dough for hamburger buns and such so you may get it in many forms!

    ReplyDelete