Saturday, June 25, 2011

Good Bye, Old Cat.

I'm an old cat and I'll push my food
around with my nose if I want to!
It's a sad day at Aagaard Farms today.  This morning our old cat, Peanuts, passed away.  He was an incredible age of twenty four and the last link to Farmer Man's Dad and Step-Mom.  Peanuts had been declining but up until yesterday he knew when dinner was, knew where his cozy bed was and could get to the water dish.  Yesterday we noticed he seemed very unsteady on his feet and early this morning he could hardly get on his feet.


Peanuts was a beautiful jet black cat.  He was a little unusual in that he had one brown eye and one green eye.  He was an excellent mouser - after we had been on the farm about a year he started to bring home his catches to 'share' with us.  We figure he led an awesome cats' life: he never wore a collar, he was free to roam and chase mice to his heart's content and he always had a good bed, a bowl of food and lots of scratches on his head to come home to.  He was never a snugly cat but he would come and curl up someplace in the room with us on long winter nights.  This past winter, he had taken to sleeping in the bathroom, beside the baseboard heater.  We've grown accustomed to stepping around him when we get out of the shower.  We will probably continue to do so for some time.  Old Peanuts will be missed!

4 comments:

  1. It is a sad day when we lose a pet. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand. Twenty-four is incredible and healthy right to the end. My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry to hear this. Although I've lost several cats it never gets any easier. It's nice to know that he lived a long life and was very loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone! It's always hard to lose a pet, they are so much a part of everyday life!

    ReplyDelete