Thursday, March 17, 2011

Jam Swap!


I love blogging for the connections and on-line friends you can acquire! And all the stuff you can learn! I became aware of Lindsay, of 100 Mile Locavores thru the Dark Days Challenge, which she participated in for the first time this year. We've got a lot in common: both trying to eat local, both growing and preserving food, both selling at Farmers Market. She also has an awesome canning site called Uncanny Preserves - Thinking outside the jar. Some great info on that site, not only preserving, but using preserves in some great recipes! She emailed me inquiring about nanking cherries, something she's not familiar with. She proposed a swap: some of her homemade wild blueberry jam for a jar of our homegrown, homemade nanking cherry jam. So, she sent a little package from New Brunswick with the wild blueberry jam but also some carrot apple butter, I sent a package with nanking jelly and grape jelly to New Brunswick! The wild blueberry jam is awesome: some of the best blueberry flavor I've ever had out of jar! We've haven't tried the butter, but I'm currently fascinated by butters. I've been reading about them on some of my other fav canning site like Tigress in a Jam and Food in Jars. I'm going to give butters a try this summer! Also loved seeing someone doing something a little different with their presentation: Lindsay has great little inserts on the top of the jars, with her logo, and ties on a nice little card with the same logo with info on the product. Looks and tastes great! Are you canning?

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like them! Thanks for the write-up. Can't wait for the cherry and grape jams. Yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for suggesting the swap! The blueberry is gorgeous! We're saving the apple/carrot butter for a special occasion. I'll be checking out the blog for more info on the butters - I'm fascinated by butters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butters are so great, I make a lot of them: Peach, Pumpkin, Apple and owuld love to make a Pear Butter sometime soon. I love them on toast, or as a filling for cookies (thumbprint) or when making muffins, fill the tin up half way, add a dollop of butter, then add the rest of your batter and voila! Jammy muffins. That blueberry jam is a new recipe for me and I absolutely love it; one of my favourite jams I've made this year. Glad you like it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're thinking of trying the carrot apple butter as a glaze on some home grown Berkshire pork loin we're defrosting right now:)

    ReplyDelete