Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Talkin' Squash in Hartney!

The Hartney Hort Club had talked to me about a fall presentation about squash. Last night was the event - and it was good timing because we still had summer squash as well as winter squash. This was a 'tag-team' presentation with Farmer Man, something we don't get to do that often! We prepped some Papaya Pear by marinating it in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and we baked both a Buttercup and a 'Winter Sunshine' Kabocha. The meeting was at the adorable 'Red Door' restaurant in Hartney, so Farmer Man sauteed some crookneck and patty pan, grilled the Papaya Pear and warmed the winter squash. I talked about the differences between summer and winter squash, different varieties in both groups, growing them, using them and preserving them. Farmer Man came out of the kitchen a few times to add his knowledge! And everybody got to try both raw and cooked varieties! We were quite late arriving (totally on me, I won't lie) and in the flurry to get going I totally forgot to get a picture of the packed restaurant! A great group! Thanks for having us, Hartney!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds really interesting. There are so many kinds of squash I generally just stick to the ones I know. What a great idea to let people try out different varieties that they might not otherwise purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awsome! Maybe some of the squash I grow and cook will actually taste good now! The chickens might get less this year...Thanks for coming, it is always great to hear you speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crysti, glad you enjoyed it! Hope you've tried something new! And Marguerite, just remember that anything you do with a zucchini you can do with any summer squash. And anything you do with your favourite winter squash, be it pumpkin or butternut, you can do with any winter squash! If you can buy at a Farmers' Market, the grower should certainly be able to tell you the characteristics of what they've grown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was there to be your assistant and add my enthusiastic endorsement of the many varieties!

    Keltie

    ReplyDelete