Sunday, July 24, 2011

Manitoba Maple Syrup and Pancakes!

Almost done!

Ready to flip!
I've blogged about Manitoba Maple Syrup a few times, here and here.  I love the idea of this local product and loved the product itself, once I had some!  Our neighbors Amanda and Ed were nice enough to share a jar, but really only make enough to supply their family.  I was searching around for some other sources.  Serendipity brought Hiltje to the Friday Night Farmers Market this week, with her maple syrup.  Score!  And, through Organic Sheri in Portage, I got connected to Linda of Oakman Enterprises in Portage la Prairie;  Farmer Man's sister Lene and her husband Dale picked up some on their way through for a visit here at the farm on Friday.  We've got Manitoba Maple Syrup!  So, what do you do when you have maple syrup?  You make pancakes!

Now, I am crazy about pancakes.  My Mother loved pancakes, too, and I inherited an electric fry pan dedicated to pancake making.  Yes, an electric fry pan my Mom received as a wedding gift in the '50's has hardly ever been used for anything other than pancakes.  I don't have to oil it or anything, something I find wrong about too many pancakes is that they can be almost greasy!  Remember, you're not frying them, you're sort of baking them one side at a time!  Here's my Mom's easy pancake recipe: in a large bowl mix 2 cups flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons sugar.  In a small bowl mix 2 eggs, 1 3/4 cups milk, 1/4 cup oil like canola or corn (olive oil has too much flavor).  Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet, mix.  We make a smaller pancake, one scoop of batter from a soup spoon, comes out about 3 inches across.   The recommended setting on the electric fry pan is 380 degrees, about medium high.  Cook the first side until bubbles are coming through - about 2 to 3 minutes.  Flip and cook the second side about 1 to 2 minutes.  I, like my Mother, keep a small pot of water simmering on the stove with a bowl on top; this keeps the early pancakes warm until I'm finished the batch.

Both these producers are tapping Manitoba maples, also called boxelder, botanically Acer negundo.  Linda is also tapping Silver maples, Acer saccharinum.  If you're interested in some of this great product,  you can follow Aagaard Farms on Facebook or Twitter, and I'll let you know when Hiltje will be back at the Friday Night Farmers Market.  Or contact us at aagaardfarms@gmail.com!  If you're in Manitoba, if you're interested in eating local and supporting small producers you've got to try this stuff!  Or how about tapping your own trees this next Spring?

4 comments:

  1. Yum yum! Not only am I looking forward to (hopefully) taking some syrup home, I'm also looking forward to (hopefully) having my wonderful sister make pancakes for the invading family!!

    Keltie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you sell your Maple Syrup ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not! Check Crampton's Market in Winnipeg about June or sometimes Forbidden Flavours in Brandon has some locally tapped!

      Delete